Tuesday, January 24, 2017

15 Minute Veggie Chicken Pasta For $1 a Serving!!!

There have been many days that I just don't have a plan for dinner.  I've gone through my leftovers, or I'm really not feeling what I had planned that day (yes the one downfall of meal planning).  The pasta base is Pasta Roni (no I'm not paid by them to promote this, but I'd happily take free stuff!) which is so easy as a side too. 
This pasta is great when you don't have a plan, time, or have leftover chicken or turkey.  It's great with cooked shredded chicken or you can cube and cook the chicken first.  I always make it with turkey after the holidays.

You can also use any veggies you have on hand, so it's great for using up any extras you have or busting out some seasonal sales. I've used carrots, broccoli, peas, corn, zucchini (like here) or any squash, the possibilities are endless!
I also love this recipe because it uses 1 pot for all the cooking. I love one pot pastas since you just dump everything in and only have 1 pot to clean.

Pasta Roni is a little more pricey than just plain pasta, but it's so easy to have on hand when you just want a little kick.  You can get a regular box around $1(I've gotten it as low as 88c), and the family size (twice the size) for about $1.50.  I keep an eye out for coupons or sales in the store and stock up when I can. I've tried it with a variety of flavors, and they are all great.
What you need:
1 box Pasta Roni
1 cup (about 4 oz) shredded chicken or turkey
1 cup veggies (I used zucchini here, but any veggies are great!)

Cook Pasta Roni according to directions. Add meat and veggies in the last 3 minutes of cooking and stir.  Let sit according to package (about 3-5 minutes to make a sauce).

*If using fresh chicken, dice and heat in the pot you are using for the pasta with 2 tbsp butter (don't add the butter, and cook about 2 minutes. Then add the water and cook according to the package instructions. The chicken will continue cooking with the pasta.

Makes about 2 servings.  Total cost: $2.00 or $1.00 per serving.

I hope you like this!  Let me know when you try it.

XOXO,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment