Monday, February 13, 2017

Easy Chicken Veggie Soup


Soup season is here!  There's nothing quite like a nice warm cup of soup on a cold winter day. I love that you can toss everything in the slow cooker while you're out braving the cold, and come home to piping hot soup.  Plus soup is relatively cheap and very healthy!
I love making big batches in my slow cooker and freezing half to eat later!  You can make soup for months in only a couple weeks.   Then you can rotate and never get bored (not that I would anyway). I'll have something up soon with how to freeze soup...

There are so many different varieties, but Chicken Veggie Soup is on of my favorites!  Plus you can change what you put in, depending on what you have on hand! You can make it with canned veggies if you want, for those days you're feeling soup or trying to clear out the pantry.

The best start is Homemade Turkey Stock. You can also use homemade chicken stock, which you make the same way.  Homemade stock is so much richer than store-bought, and if you make whole chicken or turkey so easy to do!
I have a base to this recipe, but I always look at what I have on hand to use up, or add extra flavor.  This is great if you have your own garden to use what you grow, or use what you get on sale!

Printable Recipe

Base:
2 cans beans (or the equivalent dry beans)
1 cup carrots, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
2 cups shredded chicken, or diced chicken
8 cups broth

Other Additions:
zucchini
onion
tomatoes
pasta
spinach

Put everything in the slow cooker (except pasta and spinach). Cook on low 6-8 hours. Add pasta the last 30 minutes of cooking.  Once you're ready to serve, add spinach to the bowl, and pour the soup over.

See super easy!  Let me know what you think! What else would you add?

XOXO,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment